Stroopwafel Squash Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Set a large skillet over high heat on the stovetop. When hot, add in bacon and cook until fat is rendered and bacon is crispy. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon from pan and set on a paper towel-lined baking sheet.
- Add shallots and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until translucent. Add squash to pan and season liberally with salt and pepper. Cook over high heat for about 5 minutes. Add in water and stir in thyme. Lower heat to medium and continue to cook for about 15 minutes, until squash has softened a bit, started to brown at edges, and water has evaporated. Turn off heat.
- In a large bowl, combine ground stroopwafels, Parmesan cheese, sage, and butter. Using your hands, combine until a coarse crumb forms.
- Break up goat cheese and stir into butternut squash mixture. Pour squash into a casserole dish and top with stroopwafel crumble.
- Place casserole in oven and bake for 15 minutes, until crumble browns and mixture bubbles up from the sides.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve. Can be made up to two days ahead of time and reheated in oven.
Times and expectations