- In a bowl, beat the egg with half of the sugar. Add a small cup of milk (not all of it) and the custard powder. Beat well.
- Bring the rest of the milk and the rest of the sugar to the boil in a pan. Add the boiling milk to the bowl containing the custard mixture. Beat well with a whisk.
- Pour the mixture back into the pan and heat gently.
- Bring the mixture gently to the boil, stirring frequently. It will gradually thicken up. Remember: when it starts to thicken, it will happen quite fast. Leave it to boil until it is thick enough.
- Pour the pastry cream into a dish or bowl and cover with cling film to prevent a skin from forming.
- Put it in the fridge to cool.
- For a creamier result, whisk some cream with sugar and fold it into the cooled pastry cream.
- Spread the pastry cream between two caramel waffles. Decorate the cream slices with stripes of icing or melted chocolate.
Times and expectations