Stroopwafel Barbeque Chicken
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add in drumsticks and season well with salt on all sides. Allow for chicken skin to get golden brown on one side and then turn, cooking on all sides until fat is rendered from skin.
- Remove chicken from Dutch oven and set onto a paper towel-lined plate. Add in whole garlic cloves and brown, stirring until fragrant. Remove from Dutch oven and place with chicken.
- Add in ground stroopwafels (blitz them in a food processor a few times to grind) and stir until they absorb any oil. Using a garlic press, squeeze out the liquid from the ginger straight over the stroopwafel mixture.
- Whisk in in chicken stock, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil. Deglaze pan by scraping away any browned bits on the bottom as you add in liquid.
- Place chicken and garlic back into Dutch oven. Raise heat to high to bring mixture to boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook chicken for 20 minutes.
- (Alternately, let chicken rest in sauce for an hour and then finish cooking on a hot grill. Brush with sauce as it cooks to baste. Remove from heat when internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.)
- Once cooked, remove chicken and place on a platter. Stir in remaining stroopwafels and let sauce reduce until thick and gravy-like.
- Spoon some additional sauce over chicken and set the rest aside to serve with meal if desired. Sprinkle chicken with green onions and serve hot.
Times and expectations